Wednesday Club Night @ Ferry Meadows
Wednesday in the summer is Club Night.
We have coaching sessions to develop your paddling skills, recreational paddling around the lake or a short trip out on to the River Nene and back.
NEW MEMBERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME
- please note we prefer card payments due to the current Covid restrictions.
The following information will help you enjoy kayaking and paddling with PACKERS.
The postcode for Nene Park is PE2 5UU. What3Words location for the sailing race hut is "launch.tender.axed"
Park** at the bottom main car park and walk over to the sailing race hut at the Watersports Centre at Ferry Meadows. Richard and Keith are usually the volunteer committee members who will guide through the process of joining PACKERS.
** PARKING AT FERRY MEADOWS ON CLUB NIGHTS & OTHER EVENTS - APRIL to SEPTEMBER Parking charges on Wednesday evenings are included in the cost of membership and a 'come and try it sessions', which means that YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY FOR PARKING ON WEDNESDAY. Speak to RICHARD or KEITH in the sailing hut for details on the VOUCHER required for the Park with Ease machines.
From around 6.30pm to be on the water for 7.00pm to dusk or 9.00pm. (Whichever is the earliest.) You need to be changed and ready with your boat, paddle and buoyancy aide to be on the water for 7.00pm
- Make sure you SIGN ON the water at the start of the evening and then SIGN OFF at when you get out of your boat and put it away.
Boats (a range of kayaks and open canoes), paddles, spray-decks, buoyancy aids and helmets are available for hire. A club volunteer will help you choose the right kit for you.
- There is a charge of £6 per evening per member to borrow whatever equipment you need including the Launch Fee for the lake.
- If you bring and paddle you own boat/kit the launch fee is £2.50 per boat.
'Come and Try It' session for non-members - £8 per person.
- If you would like to try kayaking or canoeing, you are welcome to come along for one session with no obligation to join the club.
- The price of a 'come and try it' session is £8 for hire of any equipment per person which includes an additional insurance cost. This is non-refundable if you subsequently join PACKERS as a member.
- A membership form for each person will have to be completed before you go on to the water, so please allow enough time.
- If you would like to continue coming, you would then need to join Packers on the second occasion.
- You are likely to get wet so make sure you have a towel and a change of dry clothes with you. We have nice changing rooms with warm showers. Note - these are not available at the moment due to Covid restrictions. The toilet block is open for you to change.
- A swimming costume makes a suitable under-garment.
- A tee-shirt and shorts of man-made fibres such as polyester or lycra.
- Wet suits are excellent too.
- A light-weight polyester fleece is ideal too. Even when the weather (and the water) is warm, you can still get cold if there is a breeze.
- Wear a wind-proof outer layer such as a lightweight waterproof cagoule. The club has a range of paddling tops that can be borrowed on the evening.
- Shoes – wear thin-soled plimsoles or better still a pair of purpose built water shoes.
- DO NOT WEAR cotton tee shirts, jeans and heavy large trainers. They hold water, are heavy, make you cold, make it more difficult to fit in the boats and spoils the fun of paddling.
Vehicles over 2.1m high with or without boats on the roof - there is a height barrier at the entrance and exit to Ferry Meadows in Ham Lane. Allow additional time to contact the Ranger to unlock it and let you in.